Skip to main content

My Really Stupid Boston Story

My Really Stupid Boston Story My Brother's In-Laws Will Never Forget Lex Loeb Contributor Network . I went to Boston to help my brother move to Detroit. They had more than one car to drive out and had asked for some help. A day before the trip to Detroit I took the car out to go sight seeing around Boston. It was winter time and everything seemed to be going fine. I drove all over town and ended up down near Boston City Hall. I found a parking space on the street and noticed that when I was pulling into the parking space that the car was overheating. It was steaming. The radiator was venting steam from every opening along the edges of the car's front hood. It was a full size Ford Crown Victoria which probably meant a big overheating problem. Immediately I became concerned that I might have accidentally driven the car in the wrong gear or something really stupid like that. I got out, opened the hood and it was really overheated. It was steaming and steaming from everywhere around the motor. Oh no , I thought I had better call triple A. Right in front of where I parked was a big pub house. I went inside to use the phone and called Triple A to have them come out and see if I needed to be towed. I also realized that if I had broken the car that the planned journey to Detroit the next day would be delayed so I frantically called my Brother's in-laws and told them the problem and that the AAA tow truck was expected in 45 minutes. I looked out the window and the car was still steaming. Since I did park to spend some time walking in the area and I had a good 45 minutes to wait or more I went for a walk around the City Hall square and then returned back to the car. It was still steaming after something like 20 minutes. It was steaming as much as when I first left it. I opened the hood of the car again and took another look and started to wonder how hot that big old car was and then I noticed the steam was also coming out of the passenger area and probably also from the trunk. I looked under the car to see what the hell was going on and noticed that I had happened to park directly over a steam vent from the City of Boston's age old steam heating system. The car was not over heating I was an idiot. I ran back in the pub and called AAA to cancel and then called the in-laws to tell them that I had not originally noticed that I parked the car over a steam vent. The in-laws up in Swampscott , thought that was a lot funnier than I did mostly because of how frantic I had become thinking I may have caused the car to overheat somehow. It never dawned on me that Boston had a steam heating system. I wonder if it ever fooled anyone else in the same manner? The in laws, i hear still enjoy telling this story. At least I also find it funny. I wonder if someone like Albert Gore would find a similar situation just as funny if he won a Nobel peace prize for trumpeting hysteria about an over heating planet he believed was suffering from global warming when it was really caused by parking the earth over a Boston steam vent? It took me over 20 minutes to figure out what was really going on. .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Best Kept Secret Park in Lake Oswego

Best Kept Secret Park in Lake Oswego Great for Bike Riders, Walking and Running with Scenic River Views Lex Loeb Contributor Network . Lake Oswego does not like to advertise some of its best attractions for fear of attracting non-locals. The area has many interesting treasures almost no one from the Portland area bothers to explore. Lake Oswego has long had the cache' of an upper middle class white Anglo Saxon enclave that does not want the company of everyone from the Portland Metro Area coming in. One can't blame the present day city for trying to protect itself against crowds of non local strangers using their public facilities. Anyone who has been to lake Oswego actual lake knows it is a privately owned body of water that does not welcome the public access in anyway. That is not true of the Oswego Furnace Tower in George Rogers Park or Old River Drive that connects to the park's main pathway up along the Willamette river front. Along most of Old River drive the fro

Hill side houses built on very tall stilts--SW Montgomery Drive Portland, Oregon

Vines are the Most Intelligent of Plants.

 Ever seen Boston Ivy covering the walls at Ivy League colleges?   That could make them the most intelligent of plants. Vines train themselves to cover territories and structures. They don't just grow toward the sun they find their way to spread their leaves with trial and error until they cover wide areas that satisfy their demands for light and exposure.  Some have tendrils that find a way to spiral around things to rise off the ground and follow the pathways they can take advantage of.  If i was designing an artificial intelligence app or algorithm I would think about vines and how they deal with their environmental factors.    Most plants do also have this ability to grow with a kind of logic, especially the roots which will grow to seek water and nutrients.  Some tropical plants have ariel roots that can seem intelligent too in finding sources of water and nutrients and taking advantage at a considerable distance. If one root becomes disconnected these plants can send out a ne